Breaking Bad is a great opportunity to discuss the important topic of successful scaling.
- it is the main reason startups fail
- it is not talked about, and loosely defined
Successful scaling is about growing in size and complexity in a sustainable manner.
- growing in size: larger or additional markets, larger customer base, additional customer segments, larger product/service portfolio… larger teams
- growing in capacity: greater quantities and quality of product & services, increased customer care, …
- growth in complexity: recruitment, procurement, distribution, partnerships, competition…
- while maintaining a sustainable business over time
- a broke and sick high school science teacher (and a junkie high-school drop-out)
- start with limited resources, but strong ambition and great business acumen
- design a “killer product” Blue Crystal
- pile millions from producing and selling large amounts of it
- becomes a drug lord: successfully grows his “business” and navigates the increasingly hazardous environment of drug cartels, kills his competitors to create his drug empire.
Let us take you through this journey, and illustrate 4 lessons to be learnt, understand who is the real unicorn, and more…